So, our summer was stressful to say the least, and isn't really looking much less so in the coming weeks as it ends... Steve applied to lots of schools, but with the economy down and schools cutting teachers, it was not the best situation for us as we were competing with experienced teachers.
First we got a call from Logan, and they told Steve they wanted him in the District, keep applying, but the alternative school wanted someone with experience.
Then we jerked around by Idaho Falls for 3 stinking weeks before they picked someone else without ever even interviewing Steve, as they had been telling us they would for weeks up to that point. Steve plans to write their superintendent soon.
Then we got a call last Monday from Mabton, WA. Where? Exactly.
A map for those of you, who like us, had never heard of Mabton.
We had the interview Thursday at 1:00 and it went for 2 hours! At the end, the interview board convened for all of about 5 minutes to decide while Steve was still there between the 4 candidates. And offered us the job! We should officially get the job offer from the superintendent Monday as she was out of the country till then. So now, Steve is a Mabton Viking!Here is a picture of some of the school. It's a really nice facility, thanks in part to funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The school has the same internet connection as the U of I! And loads of opportunities for Steve to get involved in coaching, agriculture and vet science classes, and more! We are excited about the job.
Our only problem is that school starts the 25th of this month! So Steve's first meeting is a week from this Tuesday. All this means that we need to be moved to the area (we plan to move to one of the surrounding towns as Mabton is just over 1,000 people and doesn't have much going on outside of the school we've been told) in a week!
This would be fine if they weren't experiencing a renting shortage! And most apartments we've called were closed Friday or are only for low-income families as the area is highly Hispanic and low income due to the agriculture and wine industry there. So, we go Monday back to Mabton with a lot of hope and faith that we will be able to find a place to live.
We hope to be done driving soon as we just drove back from the IF debacle and our visit in Preston Wednesday and drove well over 1,000 miles in a few days this last week.